Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Love Magnet is sick today


I brought her home from school. She immediately put on a pair of pjs, ate a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and cuddled up with her favorite doll to watch Disney Channel while I worked on homework........actually I spent more time watching her and thinking.



The other day I read an article called Down Syndrome a Modern Day Death Sentence by Joseph A. Cannon (who also has a daughter with Down syndrome). You can find it here.




So many professional seem to think it a moral imperative that we not allow children with Ds to be born. The professionals quoted offered many reasons: It's too hard on those born with the disability. It's too hard on their families. It's too hard on the world.


I think that everyone should spend time with a person who has an intellectual disability.



They would see that people with disabilities have the same wants and needs. The same emotions. The same need to love and be loved in return that every single one of us have.
They would also see that people with disabilities are teachers of compassion, forgiveness, understanding, empathy, and acceptance.


But then those things can't really be measured in a lab, can they? I feel bad for the professionals in that article. They just don't get it. They have surrounded themselves with textbooks and research. Maybe if they tried field research? Got themselves out of a lab and into a typical home. I wonder if there is anything that could change their opinion?
They certainly haven't changed mine.

8 comments:

Staci said...

I read that article the other day also. I was disturbed that professionals would think that. I couldn't imagine our lives without our wonderful daughter.

Michelle Johnson said...

Those "professionals" in that article are just so sick and wrong! They have obviously never spent any significant time with anyone with Down Syndrome. I did not get that blood test when I was pregnant, because regardless of the outcome, I was going to have my baby. My 1st doctor wanted to do the test, and my 2nd doctor didn't try to get me to do the test.

I hope LM gets better quickly. :)

Anna said...

obviously those researchers have not met the love magnet. she's a joy to be around.

SMITHNATION said...

I have to say that the researchers are sick and twisted. I can;t imagine how you must feel. My heart aches for you and your family. I can't believe that they are able to publish such garbage. God gives life and and all life has a purpose. I agree more feild work is a must. I Hope that love magnet is feeling well soon.

Michelle Johnson said...

We talked about this in Bible study tonight. We didn't even make it to the topic we were supposed to be talking about. We are sending red envelopes to Barack Obama to let him know how we feel about him releasing funds for abortion. The man who is in charge of this states that he has been in Prolife for 20 years. I counted up how long I've been Prolife and it has been 28 years. Follow this link and you'll get to the red envelope directions.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?sid=e865b61b032ed3145be42f5d68d2527b&eid=129693170516

Monica said...

First, I hope love magnet is feeling better. I love the pictures!!! It scares me to think that still in this day there are people and scarier yet professionals that think this way.......

www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com said...

I'm gonna share this article on our blog too. These are the kind of things that break my heart.

Hope LM is feeling better. She is such a joy and blessing.

Doncha Wannano said...

I just came across your blog tonight and I agree with all you've said. But the main thing that struck me about this post was how absolutely gorgeous your daughter is. What a beautful child of God.