Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Gratitudes

Our combined Priesthood/Relief Society lesson today was amazing. It was based on Elder David A. Bednar's talk titled Things As They Really Are given at a CES Fireside on May 3, 2009 at BYU-Idaho. You can see the transcript by clicking here. BEtter yet, you can watch it here. I love Elder Bednar's counsel - he is one of my favorite speakers during General Conference. We were asked to take copies of the article home and teach it to our families. There is enough instruction to fill many Family Home Evenings. It will be a challenge to fit the lesson to the attention of kids whose ages range from 16 to 7. But I am looking forward to it. I'm grateful for Family Night. Some lessons at our house last only 5 minutes. But there have been some where the kids keep involved, asking questions and offering comments, that make it last all evening.

My youth choir sang for the first time today in Sacrament Meeting. It was a bit intimidating for them but they did great. I am thankful that they had the courage to get up and sing. I'm even more grateful that they showed up today for practice, wanting to do it again. I hope they bring more teens into the choir.

I am grateful for books. I have loved reading non-textbooks for the past two weeks.

I am thankful that school starts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to each semester that brings me closer to a degree.

Tonight I packed my messenger bag for the new school year. I know this sounds cheesy, but I am very grateful for the person who invented erasers. It's nice to be able to erase a mistake. I love packing a new pink eraser.

While I am at it (how is this for a segue?) I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for providing an eraser for the mistakes in my life. One of my mistakes was lovingly pointed out to me by Mr. Wonderful during one of my venting sessions this past weekend. I was holding anger bout something instead of letting it go - Mr. Wonderful pointed out the obvious that I was too blind to see. He was right. I'm working on changing my attitude on that front (it was VERY negative). I have repented and looking forward to having that burden off my back.

1 comment:

Michelle Johnson said...

I too am grateful for erasures in my life, because I've made many mistakes and don't have to live with them. My heavenly Father erased them with his Son Jesus Christ. :)