Friday, October 02, 2009

Ebelskiver's and Butter Syrup




I inherited an Ebelskiver pan form my grandma. This is a pan I've wanted for years but could never bring myself to purchase as it is good for only one thing. (If you know other uses, please let me know.) Today we had guests and made Ebelskivers for the first time. I think my Grandma came to hang out with us this morning. Love and good will abounded....along with a steady subconscious stream of "No, do it this way". *smile* You had to know my grandma. I sure miss her.


Ebelskivers


4 eggs separated

1 Tablespoon sugar

2 Cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 Cup melted butter

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

2 Cups milk


Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. In separate bowl beat egg yolks, vanilla, melted butter, and sugar together. In third bowl mix dry ingredients. Alternate stirring egg yolk mixture and milk into dry ingredients. Fold in egg whites.


(How I figured it out.) Grease ebelskiver pan using a bowl of oil and a silicone brush. Set aside and repeat this process for every batch. Heat pan over medium low heat (the other directions I found all said heat pan to smoking point but that was way to hot for what we were trying to accomplish). Fill each depression with batter. When bubbles appear on top of batter use a table spoon to turn the ebelskivers over (other recipes said to use a fork or wooden skewer. I found it much easier to use a spoon and a wooden skewer.) Let cook a few more minutes before scooping out of pan with a clean spoon. Ebelskivers can be served with syrups, jams or powdered sugar and melted butter. We really like the following butter syrup recipe.



Scarehaircare's Family Favorite Butter Syrup


1 Cup butter

1 Tablespoon fresh lemon or orange juice

Zest from that lemon

1 Cup milk

2 Cups sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 Tablespoon vanilla


Bring butter, milk, lemon juice, and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and add baking soda, vanilla and lemon zest. Let it foam for a minute before serving.

1 comment:

Murph said...

My kids LOVE Ebelskivers! I usually try to put some cherry pie filling or Banana in the center before I rotate them in the pan.