Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Mr. Dream Date (in training)

We have date nights with our kids. Its a chance to spend some one-on-one time with them. This week is was DS#3's turn. He wanted to go see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Not my first choice for a flick but my opinion wasn't important.

DS#3, who is 6, opened doors for me, paid for the tickets (all right, I did fork over the cash for that) and asked if I wanted any popcorn (no, I didn't but he did buy some for himself). He picked the seats and sat down. Actually, I sat, he bounced up and down in his seat from the excitement of seeing a ninja movie. We talked about school, ninja moves, friends, ninja moves, our upcoming move, ninja moves....... until the trailers started to roll. At that point he hugged me every few minutes and told me how much he loved dates.

During the movie, DS#3 made sure to share his popcorn and sour candy (I think he loved watching me pull a face every time he fed me the candy). He tried hard to be quiet. We did have to discuss proper movie etiquette at one point in the middle of the show. He was then tempted to tell the family behind us the rules of proper movie etiquette as it was obvious that they had never learned them. I pointed out to him that their mom would have to teach them just as I was teaching him.

After the movie he opened the theater door and later the car door for me. We drove home in time for me to make dinner. The talk at the table wasn't just about the movie. DS #3's older brothers quizzed him on how he treated me on the date. They know the drill because they have learned it, too.

These dates were set up to teach my sons how to treat a girl. In these modern times chivalry is not dead. Romance is in. They will know the difference between true compliments and flattery. They will know how to dress for the occasion (the slob look is not in). They will know how to cook a romantic dinner. They will know that bringing flowers for no reason is a very good thing.

Of course, my sons have a great example. My Darling Husband already does all those things.

No comments: