Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The End Of Another Era?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
DS#3 told me this week that he did not care to visit Santa at the mall or at a neighborhood party.

"He's fake, Mom. They are all fake. I can pull their beards off."

DH and I have an agreement. DH did not grow up with Santa because his parents did not want to lie to him. I agreed during DS#1's first Christmas that when the kids asked if Santa was real that I would answer them truthfully. I found a loophole in that agreement that I do not feel guilty in using. I evade the question by asking another question.

"Mom, is Santa real?"

"Hmmmm. What do you think?"

(I then let them reason it out for themselves. The usually figure it all out by 3rd grade, which is about time , anyway.)

"Mom, its all fake." DS#3, my first grader, watched my face, just waiting for me to give it all away. I looked back at him waiting for another pronouncement, but none came.

Last night, DS was asked what he wanted for Christmas. He answered very diplomatically "What ever I get will be fine." DS #3 has never been greedy but this lack of dreaming surprised me. He was kind of resigned about the whole thing, no excitement whatsoever.

I wonder if the magic is gone for him? I am sad over his growing up so much more quick than his brothers. I've got to think of a way to bring his smile back.

6 comments:

The Country Mouse said...

Hi Carrie! It's Carol from CLC. I love the new family picture.

I was wondering if you'd mind if I listed your blog on mine. I love that you post and review recipes, and I'd like to pass it on to others. (If you want to check it out before agreeing, it's at meetthecountrymouse.blogspot.com; there isn't much there yet.) And if you're not comfortable with that, that is totally fine!

Scarehaircare said...

By all means! I put your link on mind. I look forward to reading yours. Too bad you don't live closer. I have always wanted to learn to knit

heather said...

Wow! That seems so young to already be asking! We are lucky here that we still have all believers...every year I think this has to be the last year for Jack (now in 5th grade) but every year he talks about Santa and never questions. Maybe next year? Cute family picture on your blog, too!

Soozcat said...

Learning "the truth about Santa" was really traumatic for me. My family made a big deal of it, and when I discovered how it really worked, it was as though some of my childhood had died. So I spent a lot of time thinking about how to deal with the inevitable question.

Miss V asked me about it last year. We sat down and I told her about the real person named Saint Nicholas, how kind and generous he was, and how when he died--as all real people do--the people he had known wanted to do something to remember him. So they started giving each other secret gifts and saying that it must have been Saint Nicholas who had left them.

I told her that there really is a Santa Claus, but not the way she'd thought--that Santa Claus is made up of all the people who love you and who want to do something secret and wonderful for you without you knowing it was them.

I then told her that, now she knew the truth, she could join the group of people who get to *be* Santa. That appealed to her tremendously. This year she's been ding-dong-ditching people with gifts, and loving every minute.

Maybe DS#3 would enjoy being given a secret Santa assignment?

Michelle Johnson said...

In 1st grade? That seems so early! Wow! I think Jamie is doubting, but I haven't let on. I don't remember it being a big shock when I found out. I'll have to ask my mom. It didn't leave a traumatic scar on me anyway. :)

The Mom said...

my little K figured/found out in about 1st grade - and I was soooo sad :( We just tell our kids that if you don't believe, he doesn't bring you anything ;) I think they all know - and to be honest - Brady knows who Santa is, but doesn't really get that he leaves presents :) Or that he has to be good to get presents - dang - I'm waiting for that to sink in LOLOL I had my bigger girls help wrap everything last year, and this year they said they didn't want to, as it took all the fun out of it, knowing what everyone was getting :)

I hope your cute boy gets his smile back!!!