Thursday, April 24, 2008

Food Storage

Saving Money

Has the news of wheat and rice shortages made anyone else a little antsy (although it doesn't look like a true shortage but instead the news media getting melodramatic)? What about middle class families with jobs having to go to food banks because the price of food is getting higher? Those stories have been all over the news. I saw one a few weeks ago of a woman who makes $70K a year having to go to the food bank. She also asked her mom to move in to help pay for utilities.

I am chomping at the bit to get my food storage shelves built in the garage so I can reorganize my food storage and catch up on the wheat (we had to throw out most of if when we moved b/c someone poked holes in all of the bags with a screwdriver). Unfortunately, with DD's surgery coming up and all the things I need to take care of before then, I don't have time to build shelves or my square foot garden.

I am pulling out my wheat grinder and Bosch mixer so I can start making bread again.

I've started researching homemade cleaners (laundry, kitchen, windows, bath, etc) since I've read articles about families who save money that way.

I am a couponer. My best savings was $140 worth of groceries for $35. I wish I could save like that more often. But coupons do help. I don't buy much by way of prepackaged food items but I do save quite a bit on soup, baking, cleaning, and personal items.

I do my Christmas and birthday shopping throughout the year when I find great sales. My latest score happened yesterday whenI found mini bottles of men's colognes (Obsession, CK One, Nautica, etc.) marked down 50% to $6 at Target. Those will be stocking stuffers for Mr. Wonderful and the older boys. A few month ago I was able to buy BYU hoodies for the same three guys in my life at 50% off at Deseret Book. Pinching Your Pennies is a great resource for internet sales. Sign up for their email alerts. They also find great clothing sales for kids.

One thing I have already started is a collection of recipes for inexpensive meals. I lost most of the record when my computer had to be redone, but I remember what recipes they were so I need to download them onto my MasterCook software and keep going. That, at least, is something I can do.

I'm always looking for more recipes. What do you have by way of inexpensive meal plans? What do you have in your food storage you know your family will eat?

What do you do to save money?

5 comments:

Anna said...

recently we discoved Steve and Barrys. It's hard to tell what kind of clothes they have from the website, but they have some cute stuff. Oh and did I mention that nothing in the store is over $20.00 (regular price) and usually they are having a sale. Right now, everything in the store is 8.98. Yes 8.98. EVERYTHING. Including college sweatshirts, jeans, dress, shoes, this cute clothing line designed by Sarah Jessica Parker, workout clothes, etc... Seriously, check it out.

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

Anna said...

oh and i have some fabulous recipes for you. I'll send them via email.

Ginger Johnson said...

This may sound weird, but I just bought a Bissell Steam Mop. It cleans with steam and the cleaning pads go in the washing machine, so you never have to buy anything else to clean your floors with.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could make a website with your inexpensive recipes? I am always looking for cheap, good food but unfortunately I suck at finding it!

I am trying really hard to cut back on our expenses right now. Mostly I don't let myself go into the non food section of Walmart and if I do have to (to buy formula or whatever) I try very hard not to look at the cute baby clothes! It's hard not to buy every cute outfit I find for my baby but I have to keep reminding myself that he's only going to be wearing them for like 3 months and he'd much rather eat than be dressed in the latest cute find - hehehe.

Soozcat said...

I have a copy of The Complete Tightwad Gazette and I skim it regularly for ideas. It's now about a decade old, but most of the concepts still work.

You might also meander on over to The Dollar Stretcher at http://www.stretcher.com and see what others are doing to save their money.