Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Newsflash - Woman Drowns in Garden Produce

Photobucket
Due to an overabundance of zucchini at my house (am I the only one?), I am fiddling (or should I say zuking?) in the kitchen. I'm looking for something beyond zucchini bread (which I have never had good success in baking.) Instead, how about these recipes:
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (using pureed zukes and healthier ingredients w/out tasting zucchini-ish)
Curried Zucchini Soup (from Moosewood Daily Special)
Zucchini Latkes (I think my mom used to make something similar)
Crispy Zucchini Coins (with warm thoughts of Deb who cued me in to the recipe)
Zucchini pesto ( a long shot, I know. We'll see......)
Zucchini pineapple muffins (for healthy lunchboxes. That will be another post..)
If these work then I will be freezing batches of pureed and shredded zukes. I hope I have enough freezer room. Who knew I could put zukes in my food storage?
If you have a fabulous zuke recipe, send it over to me. Hurry please. I'm drowning in zucchini.

5 comments:

heather said...

Yummy! We LOVE zucchini at our house but unfortunatley no garden here! We could eat 3 zucchini a night just sliced and fried in a little EVOO. So good!

Soozcat said...

You could make zucchini cake (like carrot cake, but with... you know... green stuff instead of orange).

CM usually cuts thin rounds of young tender zucchini, chops up some onions and slivers some frozen bacon and makes a yummy zuke and onion stir-fry. Or, barring the bacon, he'll grate some fresh parmesan over the top.

Funk Master B said...

Drowning in produce is no laughing matter. I'd like to see you crawl your way out of 10 feet of mushrooms.

JJ (Lady Di) said...

Hubby's grandmother made everyone cookbooks one year as Christmas gifts. She included a section just for Zucchini/yellow squash. She has a blurb at the top where she was serving homemade ice cream and one of the sons asks if she put zucchini in it. :D

Anyway, there's a few recipes in there besides the normal bread and all - most aren't totally WW nice though. :( There is is one that is called Zucchini Sauce that you freeze and use later. There is Zucchini cobbler (treat it like apple? ummm??) Zucchini Cookies like a spice cookie it looks like - that wouldn't be too bad I'd think. Zucchini Fritters with a Red-Pepper Mayo. Summer Squash Slaw, Zucchini Salad, Crustless-like quiche thingy and then Zucchini Jam, Marmalade, Relish, Pickles and Mock Zucchini Pineapple. They still have a large garden, so I'm sure they were leaving zucchini's on neighbor's doorsteps. ;)

JJ (Dibranchia) on CLC

Four Hours from Anywhere said...

Here is one way I used up SOME of my excess zucchini - http://www.recipezaar.com/107553

Even Miss M gobbled it up :)