Friday, July 25, 2008

Orientation Day

Today was orientation at the university. I dropped the younger kids off at the neighbors and headed out.

After parking (the university provided staff to help us with the parking payment machine. I thought the whole apparatus was self explanatory) I headed out to the campus. Parking was on the opposite side of campus from where we were supposed to sign in. Assuming that I didn't know how to read a campus map, the student government lined the walk with helium balloons in the appropriate university colors and colored the sidewalk with arrows every few yards along with encouraging "You're almost there!" and "You can do it!" Obviously, they didn't know I am training for a 5K and walking across campus is a piece of cake compared to running with K.

I finally made it to the right building, signed in and received my packet, and headed into the hall where the opening remarks would be held. A quick glance told me that I was the oldest person there. Everyone else looked too young to be nontraditional transfer students. I made my way to the front and sat down. Opening remarks were fairly predictable. We were told to program the campus police phone number in our cell phones (which we dutifully did) and were introduced to those who would make our transition easy.

Next there was a Resource Fair outside with food. I didn't want the muffins and pastries (my WW mentor would be so proud of me!) and was only interested in the parking information. No interest in the ROTC, clubs, some feminist movement whose table was handing out buttons and talking about how their club was a safe place for women to study. I sure hope I misunderstood what they were talking about as I walked by. I just don't get the whole us-them mentality that they seemed to promote. There was also study abroad (not feasible in my situation), health services, and library services.

Another session about transfer credits (helpful) and then it was time to meet with our advisors. There were only 7 students in the Health Sciences when I walked in and I was the only Pre-SLP. As my major is a combination of two universities, I have to send my transcripts to the other university so they can advise me on which core classes they will accept. I was given a short list of core classes I could take this semester with the admonition that I plan next semester based on what the other university tells me. It was also suggested that I start this semester with thirteen credits rather than the 18-20 I was planning on taking. My advisor said it would "ease me back into the university schedule". Works for me. I can use the extra time to brush up on my ancient math skills before testing to see what math classes to take. There is a stats class in my future that makes me wish Cousin Anna were here to tutor me. At least Mr. Wonderful is an excellent math tutor. I won't be in the stats class for a while yet. Considering how long it has been since I have taken a math class, I have a lot of reviewing to do.

I had forgotten what a headache it is to register for classes, let alone when most of them are full since I am registering so late in the game. I did manage to put a schedule together that fits into my kids schedule. I will be here to take them to school and pick them up when they are done. i will be home all nights but one and we can make sure that Mr. Wonderful will be here during that time. Now all that is left is to pay the bill and pick up the books.

School starts in a month from today.

9 comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

Good for you! I just got an A in Statistics, so I can help you with it. I'll be back in Boise by then. :) I'm glad they talked you into less classes. You're a busy mom, so it would be really hard to take 18-20 credits.

I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!

The Mom said...

WTG Carrie! I hope you have a great time. You will be a great SLP!! I've thought about going back to do the same thing, although I'd probably have to retake that stupid math class that I had an unofficial withdrawal from ;)

I had to take some psychology stats classes for my bachelors and they weren't too bad. Hopefully you'll find the same thing!

Good luck, and can't wait to hear about it all!!!

heather said...

I think it is so cool that you are going back to school! I promised myself that I would NEVER desire to go back to college once I graduated but I can say I honestly miss it and the learning. I am a little envious of you and the experiences that lie ahead for you! You'll be such a great SLP (with a little music thrown in there, too!) Have fun!!

Anna said...

I'm so excited for you to return to school. Actually stats is a lot less math based than, say, algebra or calculus. It's a different kind of math. I think you'll like it because its applied rather than abstract. Sounds like you have a local tutor too.

Robyn said...

How exciting for you! I am sure you will acclimate well and outshine your counterparts. Way to go!

Haley said...

I really admire you for going back to school. I bet you'll love it. Something for yourself, what?!? Way to go!

Angela said...

What in the heavens in SLP? Apparently I'm the only one not getting it who reads this thing. You're crazy if you want to take 18-20 credits ever. You're whole life will be consumed.

Soozcat said...

Woot! Go Carrie go!

Ginger Johnson said...

Congratulations!

I've only got a year left...