Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Food storage. Garden tomatoes. Thanks, Mom.
tomatoes

Four 4'x8' garden boxes are finished and planting will begin this weekend. Which means the next week will be devoted to building shelving in our garage to accommodate storage. I am determined to use our food storage to cut our food bill and see how sufficient I can be in my domestic job.

I found a site called Simply Living Smart that I plan to use to full advantage. I am also updating our long term storage and 72 hour kits. I need to update the clothing in the kits to proper sizes for my kids as well as check inspiration dates on the food items. I also plan on checking the dollar store for travel/card games. I have a lantern with a good supply of batteries, a camp stove, sleeping bags, and tents. I still need a radio, more flashlights, id bracelets for the kids.

Isn't the news of the earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters compelling anyone else to come up with a family emergency plan?

Am I worried? No. But I feel a need to be prepared. I used to have it all together. We lost more than half of our long term food storage when we moved (actually that is just when we discovered that kids had taken screwdrivers and poked holes in all of the bags). We're replacing it all with cans. I still need to find water storage containers.

I know some of my friends are going to be shaking their heads at this post. It's okay. But I'll feel better if I can lower the food bill since food prices are going up. I'm looking for a bike with either a trailer or a basket big enough for DD and grocery bags (that should really cut down the cost of gas for my car and be healthy for me). Add our garden and the bottling that will go on this fall, I can accomplish my goals.

Mom and Grandma - thanks for teaching me how to garden and bottle the produce. I know I didn't appreciate it when you asked me to pick the potato bugs off the potato plants, horn worms off the tomatoes, and I really didn't like it when we husked corn and I found a corn grub here and there. But I really did appreciate it the first time I tasted commercially-canned peach after years of eating bottled peaches. I was spoiled all my growing up years with garden tomatoes (best eaten with your bare feet in the dirt in the middle of the garden). And absolutely nothing compares with Grandma's raspberry jam.

Raspberries will have to go on next year's agenda. My hands are a bit full of the gardening I've planned for this week. Pole beans, sugar snap peas, melons, zukes and cukes, squashes, and Japanese eggplant. Basil, thyme, oregano, cilantro, mint, sage, and tarragon. Peppers mild and peppers hot. Ginger, green onions, and garlic. Lettuces and radishes (when it gets cooler).

Don't forget the tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes.

6 comments:

The Mom said...

Ohhh - I am so excited for you :) We need to plant this weekend or next too! I love fresh tomatoes and Salsa!!! Can't wait to see what you harvest.

We are working like mad on our food storage too. Elder Packer talked at our Stake Conference and it sounds like we really need to be stepping up!

Thanks for setting such a great example :)

Unknown said...

Don't go buying tomatos plants until you get some from me first. I have rutgers, yellow pear, cherry (which you know I don't want), romas, and a few other ones. I also have bell peppers and jalopenos. Unfortunately, they have been a little neglected since baby was born, but we found out last year tomatos are good survivers. Let me know when you decide your ready for raspberries - this year or next, they will be here for you. Happy gardening!

Soozcat said...

Tommmmmmmmmmmmatoes. Mmmm!

The one disadvantage to renting is that I always hesitate to plant a garden. Thinking about at least starting a few items in containers this year, though. We'll see how long it takes my black thumb to kill them all.

Anna said...

I'm so excited to see and hear your garden tips. We are gardening here too and its my first time putting in a major endeavor but we seem to be doing pretty well. I'll post about it in the next few days. But I'm just kind of learning as I go so I'm a bit worried. I'm also going to try my hand at canning the tomatoes and making some jam, but I think I'll freeze lots of the veggies. way to be biking to the store!

ks said...

Hi there, I am a blog stalker... and I'm wondering if you might be located in the treasure valley area? If so, I have a supplier of 55 gallon water barrels, but they have to be ordered this week... lemme know if you're interested.

Tammy and Parker said...

You and I THINK JUST ALIKE. Seriously. We are trying our best to do this exact same thing. Our garden is planted and I will be canning my brains out.

I can't begin to tell you how much our food storage has saved our family since Parker has been born.

I've even been known to ask for food storage for my birthday and mother's day these last couple of years.

Yeah, I know. I'm beyond weird.